[Breakingthesilence] edited version of the questionnaire / nouvelle version du questionnaire

ni co lu nicolu at chutelibre.org
Jeu 1 Avr 04:48:04 CEST 2004

here is an edited version of the questionnaire thanx to kevin's corrections.
we mainly added a definition of rethoric...

fin (on her way back to london) and nico

Gender and social hierarchies... A questionnaire from "breaking the
silence"

intro

We are researching gender, patriarchy and social hierarchies within the
anti-authoritarian and anti-capitalist movement because of the widespread
experiences of problems in social interactions between men and women both
inside the movement and in wider society.

We would like to know how various groups and individuals are struggling
in their local contexts about patriarchy.

We hope this questionnaire will help to start debates within the movement
and practical projects to address gender issues.

This is part of the preparation process for the next european pga
conference in belgrade (23rd to 29th of july 2004).

The gender working group for the pga conference would like to use this
informations to compile a report summarising? ?the results and giving
examples of people's experiences.

The questionnaire is anonymous and any contributions used as examples
within the report will not be linked with specific groups or locations.

Please spread the questionnaire widely. We also invite you to send us
any texts concerning gender issues which have inspired you.

You can answer this questionnaire in your own language if you find this easier.

Please feel that you don't have to answer all the questions.

Answers to : breakingthesilence at gendertrouble.org

We also invite you to send your answers to question 9 (about women only
and men only spaces) directly to the process list, as the proposal to
have such spaces during the conference was blocked at the October
preparatory meeting and this may help everybody to work through this
block.

We've defined what we mean by some of the terms used in the questionnaire :

Gender :

We understand gender to be the norms, social and cultural organisation
based on sexual differences in our societies. We consider that the
gender organisation of our society doesn't find its origin in natural
differences of behaviour between men and women but should be analysed as
social, economical and cultural constructions that create social?
?status hierarchies and are not fixed.

Patriarchy :

Patriarchy is the social system in which men are awarded higher social
status than women.

The social, political, cultural and historical basis of which is predominant
in the nuclear family and the social sphere and is characterised by the
domination of men over women.

Hierarchy :

Hierarchy is a value system in which your worth is measured by the number
of people and things you control and how dutifully you obey those above
you.

Rethoric :

Using various language/verbal techniques/tricks to persuade and dominate
other people.

Series of statements directed at an individual or group in a debate which
contain pre-suppositions that are derogative and often hurtfull towards the
target person/group.

In our patriarchal society, women are often not so aware of the existence of
rethoric and therefore are often less prepared to defend themselves against
it.

Questionnaire :

1?) are you male, female or other ?

2?) what is your age ?

3?) where are you located ?

4?) what groups are you affiliated with ?

5?) have you or do you experience differences in personal power between men?
?and women in your working groups, communities, job or family (for
example; in discussions, writing, taking decisions, handling
infrastructure, direct actions, daily tasks, taking care of
people... ? who does what and how ?

6?) is the anti-patriarchal struggle explicitly addressed in your
working groups, communities, job or family ? If so how? ?

7?) has your group/community experienced incidences of sexual harassment,
assault or gender domination through physical behaviour and rhetoric ?
If so how did you deal with it personally and how did your group deal with
it? ?

8?) would like to tell  about any personal experiences of gender
inequality ?

9?) what do you think/feel about women only and men only
discussions/working/support groups/spaces ?