[Breakingthesilence] enfrançais and english : gender work

ni co lu nicolu at chutelibre.org
Dim 4 Juil 19:11:46 CEST 2004

Ok, miss moon is asking about the gender working group.

concerning our work, i think that unfortunately, most of the questions I asked
a few weeks ago about our goals stayed unanswered with nobody even taking
care to personnaly answer.

So I'm going to put it again on the table (below) and give a few personnal
answers and hope that some still keep some energy and good will.

about the gender reader : we have no money to print it nicely and dont have
much chance to find some in the next two weeks. My idea would be to do a
black and withe layout (if kevin is still ok to do so) and to
print/photocopy it in belgrade during the days before the conference with
personnal money contribution of people who want to help (printing cost
should be cheaper there) and also ask the coordination group if any general
money can go into such project, but I doubt and it would also create a lot
of new unneeded debates.
we can therefore find personnal contribution and distribute it for donation
money during the conference.

about a few ideas for the reader content, i think that a text about the
situation of women in serbia and maybe also presenting azin (serbian
feminist network) would be great, maybe also about the queer/gay/lesbian
mouvement there and it's repression (maybe miss moon can ask people there.
It would be great also to have a few text that can present feminist approaches
and works / or even presentation of words done by collectives. I think we
should also put "how to deal with sexual harrasment" + one text with men
anti-masculinist point of view (be it "how can i be a sexist ?" or "thoughts
on masculinity..." or both).

I'm going to look if I can find any other good and not too long texts in
english and I hope that you'll hopefully do so to....

about the presentation text : nobody did this general presentation text to
raise questions about the gender issue for the conference, it still would be
great if someone send a proposal, even something short or made of questions.

about workshops : I proposed two in the message below, (and I still want to
prepare it, alone or hopefully with others...).
I really hope that other people will announce quickly worshops, or movies or
presentations so that we can do a programm.
I really hope too that people frm belgrade will offer some (but I don't have
any contacts with bosa since quite a while)

text about sexual harassment to be distributed to every participants or
included in the conference guide : I'm still for using "how to deal with
sexual harassment", maybe with a little more general intro and specific
solutions proposed for the conference (see the minutes of london's meeting).
personnaly, I think that jean-phi's proposal to have presentation or activities around
gender issues with kids is great.

invitation letter to groups and people : i did one in french, but doubt that
I'll have the time to translate it in english, so if someone else can do it,
that would be great.

that's all for now / see the message below in french and english for more details.

(Il y a une traduction française paragraphe par paragraphe / there's a
french translation block of text by block of text))

ola !

I just want to try to start here a discussion about a few short-term goals
that we can have for the conference in the coming weeks and hopefully as
soon as possible.it would be great to get some feedback and communication.

salut !

je veux juste essayer ici de démarrer une discussion sur quelques
objectifs de travail à cour terme pour la conférence dans les semaines à
venir et espérons-le aussi vite que possible. Ce serait classe d avoir un
peu de retour et de communication la-dessus.

gender programm :
- it would be great if we can try to start working on a programm around
the gender issue and find what we want as workshops, big debates, small
ones, presentation of groups, videos and define for each what we want to
be mixed gender, women only or men only...

le programme d'activités sur les questions de genre :
- ce serait cool si nous pouvions essayer de bosser sur un programme sur
les questions de genre et trouver ce que nous voulons faire comme atelier,
grand débats, petits, presentations de groupes, projections and définir ce
que nous proposons comme moments mixtes ou non-mistes là-dedans.

I kind of know that some people have on this list have already thought
about a few ideas...and maybe it would be time to share the various ideas.

je sais que certaines personnes sur cette liste ont déjà quelques idées,
peut être que l'on pourrait commencer à les partager.

personnaly i'd like to think about workshops around one or two issues :
  - naturalism, essentialism and patriarchal domination and link it with
the critic of other naturalist/essentialist ideologies of domination.
 - men-only workshops around and against masculine domination, which could
start from more personnal exchanges and views and aim at finding tools to
fight against patriarchy into our daily lives, relationships and alos how
to push it in the public area.

personellement, j'aimerai penser à des ateliers sur un ou deux sujets : -
le naturalisme, l'essentialisme et la domination patriarcale liés à
d'autres perspectives critiques sur le naturalisme/essentialisme comme
idéologies de domination. - des ateliers non-mixtes hommes sur la
domination masculine qui pourrait démarrer de perspectives plus
personnelles et viser à trouver des outils pour lutter contre le
patriarcat dans nos vies quotidiennes, relations et aussi comment pousser
ces sujets dans un domaine plus large et public.

maybe it would also be intersting to think how we can link some activities
around gender with the kid group.

peut-être qu'il serait aussi intéressant de réfléchir à lier des activités
du programme de genre avec le groupe enfant.

invitation to other groups :
It would be good to know if some of us have invited some specific groups
working on gneder issue and had positive answers. Maybe the queeruption
meeting that happens in amsterdam during the first week of june could be a
good time to invite people involved with the queer dynamic. maybe a kind
of invitation letter could be usefull.

INvitation d'autres groupes et collectifs :
Ce serait bien de savoir si certaines d entre nous ont ont invites des
groupes specifiques pour la conference et^ont recu des reponses positives.
peut-etre que la queeruption  d amsterdam, si des personnes d entre nous y
vont, pourait etre un bon moment pour inviter des gentes impliquees dans
la dynamique queer.Peut-etre aussi que lon pourait penser a une sorte de
lettre d invitatation pour des collectifs travaillant sur les questions de
genre.

text about sexist harrasment/agressions for the conference :
- we could maybe think if the text sent by kevin about "how to deal with
sexual harassment" could be a good one to include in the gender reader and
distribute during the conference or if we want to rework on something
else.

- le texte sur les agressions/violences sexistes /:
on peut peut etre reflechir si le texte envoye par kevin sur -comment
reagir face aux agressions sexistes- pourrait etre un texte adequat a
inclure dans le journal sur les questions de genre de la conference et a
distribuer pendant ou si nous voulons le retravailler et l adapter.

the questionnaire :
- i dont know if some people have already taken some time to spread it and
translate in other languages. Should we tell people to send answer on this
list or to a personnal adress. What we should we do with the answers ?

- le questionnaire :
je ne sais pas si des personnes ont deja pris le  temps de le diffuser et
de le traduire en dautres langues. est-ce que lon devrait dire aux
personnes d envoyer les reponses sur cette liste ou sur une adresse
specifique ? que voulons nous faire des reponses ?

the gender reader :
- do we still want to do something like that. Are there other people than
kevin who want to work on it ? which texts do we want to include ? How do
we copy and finance it .?

- le journal sur les questions de genre :
est-ce que l on veut toujours en realiser un pour la conference. y a t  il
d autres personnes que kevin qui veulent bosser dessus ? quel textes
voulont nous y incclure ? comme le copions nous et le financons nous ?

bisous / nicolu