[Breakingthesilence] another text for reader

Kev Smith kevin.smith at gmx.net
Mar 13 Juil 20:27:19 CEST 2004

hello
i am back in escanda and i can start to work on the reader....
here is another text that i would liek to include... it is a bit long (3000
words) but i really like it and i think its very relevant and useful.

If people have texts that they would like to include can they please sedn
them to me.

I was thinking it would be something like 30 pages long... nothing too
visually fancy... simple layout with a few images... and i was thinking of
doign it in a landscape format for no particular reason other than this is
how i usually do the pimiento verde and i can recycle a few bits of layout
from the gender magazine.

I would really liek to include a couple of pieces from queer perspectives
but i am not sure what yet.

I would liek to include something from the gender stuff that went on at the
asia conference... does anyone have any idea who would be a good person to
approach for this? (so far i have only tried trasgu)

ok, hope all is well in your respective necks of the woods,
besos
kev

Taking The First Step: Suggestions To People Called Out For Abusive Behavior
by wispy cockles (originally published in the Jan/Feb issue of Clamor
Magazine)
Introduction
What you see before you is a work in a progress and will likely remain so. I
write this to encourage dialogue and to provide a resource to people dealing
with difficult situations. I do not write this to provide answers to every
situation where someone is accused of abuse. Every situation will have
unique characteristics that require unique responses and courses of action.
What I hope is that this will spark a dialogue about how people accused of
rape or abuse or sexual assault should conduct themselves regardless of
their feelings of guilt or innocence. As radical communities we need to have
extensive dialogue about how to deal with abusive behaviour, and this is one
current within that dialogue. We should ask ourselves many questions. What
responsibilities does the accused have to upholding a "process of
accountability" regardless of their feelings of guilt or innocence? As
survivors and communities how do we hold abusers responsible? How do we
create strong communities that are ready to deal with difficult and
controversial situations without factionalizing or falling apart? Is it a
priority to determine "guilt" or "innocence" or is it a priority to create
processes that demand accountability and deconstruct privilege?
There are some aspects of the ten suggestions I would like to explain first
and foremost. We find ourselves in a world where the overwhelming amount of
abuse occurs with men preying on women. It is a patriarchal phenomena. In
this document I have used the gender neutral term s/he. I wish for survivors
that fall outside of the male=assailant/female=survivor model to have
visibility. I wish to speak to all abusers regardless of their gender. It is
not an attempt to cloak the fact that abuse is largely perpetuated by men
against women.
Also in this document I do address people who feel that they have been
falsely accused of whatever they've been accused of doing. My reason for
doing this is mainly, because people who are in denial need to be spoken to,
and they need to be held to standards of conduct that support an atmosphere
that challenges privilege and oppression. It goes without saying that in the
majority of instances when people are called out for abuse it is because, in
fact, they abused the person(s). However, there exist a minority of
instances in which people are falsely accused of things.
This writing comes from the context of my own experience of dealing with
accusations of sexually coercive behaviour. Accusations which were later
revealed, by the person my accusers had pegged to be the "survivor", to have
no validity. However, there were a good three months where, due to
miscommunication and misunderstanding*, I honestly believed I was being
accused by someone of manipulative and sexually coercive behaviour. I did a
lot of self investigation and soul searching. Luckily, I had some great
people to help me process through my conflicting feeling surrounding dealing
with these very frightening accusations of abuse. This is my way of giving
back to all those who gave so much to me, and to a radical community which
inspires me. It is a product of a very real, very intense lived experience
facing accusations of abuse, and the reflection that followed.
I would like to say, in my opinion, that false accusations of abuse are
themselves a form of emotional abuse. However, it is very important to keep
a perspective about such things. The priority, in any situation, where
someone is calling out someone else of abuse must clearly lay with the needs
and desires of those claiming to have survived abuse. This is not to just
err on the side of caution, as false accusations are by most accounts an
extreme rarity. It is to support the beginnings of communities that trust
those who stand up to those that hurt them. It is to support those that
occupy the front lines in the struggle against hierarchy. Those beautiful
souls who take the struggle home, where its most difficult, and those whose
strength should be displayed, if they wish, on the covers of radical
tabloids alongside photos of black blockers doing property alteration. Their
militancy doesn't leave them when the demo or deed is done, they live it.
*Take my advice, don't use e-mail to communicate about serious and
emotionally charged issues.
Ten Suggestions For People Called Out For Abusive Behaviour
1. Be Honest, Stay Honest, Get Honest
If you know that you hurt the person calling you out for abuse, acknowledge
it. If you think its a possibility that you might have hurt them let them
know. If you have any inkling that some way that you interacted with them
might have compromised their dignity and boundaries let them know. The first
step to dealing with our abusive tendencies is getting out of denial. Denial
is like an infection. It starts in some locality (specific instances and
situations, nitpicking at certain parts of an account of the situation[s]),
and if untreated festers and eventually consumes us entirely. When we are
able to vocalize that we are aware that something isn't quite right with our
behaviour it brings us a step closer to dealing with it in a meaningful and
honest way.
2. Respect Survivor Autonomy
Survivor autonomy means that the survivor of abuse, and the survivor of
abuse alone calls the shots concerning how abusive behaviour is dealt with.
This means s/he calls the shots and you live with her/his decisions. You
don't get to determine how or even if a mediation/confrontation happens, or
initiate action towards a resolution. You get to make it explicitly clear
that you respect their autonomy in the situation, and that you're willing to
work towards a resolution. They may prefer to never be in the same space
with you again and don't wish to speak with you. It is not their
responsibility, nor their duty, to attempt for resolution or enter into
dialogue with you or take any specific course of action for that matter
However it is your responsibility, as someone being called out, to respect
their needs and desires.
3. Learn To Listen
It is imperative that you open your ears and your heart to the person
calling you out. This will likely be difficult, because people tend to get
defensive and closed when they are accused of wrongdoing. Very few people in
this world want to be pegged as the "bad apple of the "bunch" To listen you
will need to keep your defensive and knee jerk reactionary tendencies in
check. These suggestions could be very helpful to you: A) Let the person
calling you out direct the dialogue. If they want you to answer questions do
so, but otherwise let them have the floor. B) Be aware when you're
formulating responses and counterpoints in your head while they're
expressing their account of the situation(s), and attempt to stop doing so.
C) Focus on their account of things, and save going over in your head how
you remember things until after they have spoken. D) Reflect upon the
entirety of what they expressed and not just the disparities between your
and their account of events. E) Talk with your friends about how you can
better listen before you enter a mediation/confrontation.
4. Practice Patience
Sometimes things take time to be resolved. Sometimes it takes months, years,
decades for a resolution, and sometimes there is no clear cut resolution.
However, there is no timeline for resolution when human dignity is at stake.
Be patient and never attempt to force a resolution. a process, or a
dialogue. You may ask for a dialogue or a mediation, but if the answer is no
it is no until s/he says it is yes. Don't attempt to wear down the
boundaries of the person calling you out by asking for dialogue or mediation
over and over again. Stay put, reflect, and think about the power dynamics
in your relations with others.
5. Never, Ever, Blame The Victim
S/he did not ask for violence or abuse. S/he did not ask for it in how s/he
dressed. S/he didn't ask for it, because s/he was under the influence of
alcohol or drugs. S/he didn't ask for it, because s/he is a sex worker. S/he
didn't ask for it because she chose to make out with you or because s/he
went back to your place or because s/he is known to be into s/m or because
she is a "tease" or because she is a "slut". S/he did not ask for it in
anyway. It is not acceptable to write off his/her responses to your
behaviour, because she is "hypersensitive" to ‘your' threatening of abusive
behaviour. It is not acceptable to say that s/he is "exaggerating" the
abuse, because s/he is a feminist/queer liberationist/activist/punk/youth/"a
PC thug"/etc. It is not acceptable to say that s/he is making it up, because
s/he has a history of abuse or any other such nonsense. Making excuses for
why someone is to blame for your hurtful actions are a way for you to avoid
taking responsibility for ‘your' fucked up behaviour. They expose you as a
coward.
6. Speak For Yourself
You can account for your experience and your experience and your experience
alone. Don't ever assume that you can know how the person calling you out as
an abuser experienced the situation(s). People walk down the same streets
everyday and have very different experiences. This is a simple fact of life.
It is, also, a very different experience to have the winds of privilege
blowing against your back than to have the winds of oppression blowing in
your face as you walk down those same streets. You cannot know how someone
else felt at a certain moment, and so you should never presume that you have
the right to judge the validity of their feelings. If they have expressed
how they feel, then what you need to do, first and foremost, is to listen.
It is important that you actively seek to understand theirs feelings. If you
find that you simply cannot understand their feelings no matter how
sincerely you try it is still not your place to judge the validity of them.
7. Don't Engage In Silence Behaviour
By telling your "side of the story" you could be creating an atmosphere that
silences people who have been abused. If you feel that their are major
discrepancies between your account of the situation(s) and their account,
and that you are being "falsely accused" take a deep breath. First you need
to know that you can never stop sincerely investigating the yourself and
questioning how your behaviour affects others ..the case is never closed.
With time you might come to realize that, yes, in fact your behaviour was
abusive. It is your responsibility to continuously challenge your notions
about how your behaviours effect others, and to challenge your
understandings of how you hold power over others in your relationships. Read
books, enter into recovery programs for batterer'/sexual assailants, seek
out a therapist, and discover your own ways of challenging yourself and your
conceptions of how your behaviour effects others.
Understand that if you attempt to silence the person(s) by promoting your
account of things as "the truth" you will silence others as well. People
will fear coming forward with their stories and fear confronting abuse,
because of YOUR silencing behaviour. If you are committed to creating a
world where people speak freely about the wrongs done to them you will want
to avoid focusing on how the accusers are "lying" about you, and you will
want to avoid airing your presumptions and theories as to their "motives".
One example off the top of my head is how one particular rapist/sexual
assailant passed out a list of 40 points of contention at a punk show to
refute the stories of three women calling him out. The flyer went on and on
about the disparities between these women's stories and the "truth". This is
one blatant example of silencing behaviour, but it can act in far more
subtle ways.
Silencing behaviour is ANY behaviour which attempts to make the survivor of
abuse out to the perpetrator of misinformation. It is any behaviour which
attempts to make the abuser out to be the victim. It very quickly puts into
question the character of the person calling out an abuser. Often it leads
to a backlash against them both explicit (threats, harassment, violence) and
implicit (endless questioning, non supportive behaviour i.e. "I don't want
to get involved in this" or "I'm hearing a lot of different stories").
Silencing behaviour creates an atmosphere where people fear and don't call
out their abusers, and therefore an atmosphere where abuse flourishes.
However, this does not mean that you should not speak of how you experienced
the situation(s) differently from the other person(s) calling you out. It
simply means that it is your responsibility to do so in a way that is
respectful and that does not help to foster an atmosphere of silence around
abuse. You may need to relate your experiences to those with which you have
close friendships/working relationships and to those that approach you, but
as I said above speak for yourself. Do not intersperse their account with
yours to illustrate the inconsistencies that you perceive. Do not relate the
person(s) stories for them. Do not go on and on about how they should have
called you out in a different manner. Do not talk about their shortcomings
in the relationship/ friendship. Do not cast yourself in the role of the
victim of a "witch hunt" or "cointelpro". Do not assert that they are lying,
and if your account differs from theirs make it clear that this is how you
and only you account for your experiences(s) of the situation(s). Let what
you say be limited exclusively to your recollection. If you feel the need to
vent find a good person to vent to whose outside of your immediate social
scene/community (if you look hard enough you might find a therapist willing
to work with you on a sliding scale basis, preferably find one with a
radical/feminist analysis) or someone outside the scene/community altogether
(who you know for sure has not been a victim of abuse). If you honestly
believe you are being falsely accused your character will have to speak for
yourself rather then you speaking for your character.
8. Don't Hide Behind Your Friends
Often the people most vocal in defending abusers are not the abusers
themselves, but their friends, comrades, and lovers. "But s/he's really a
good person/activist/artist" or "S/he contributed so much to the
community/scene" or "The person I know would never do something like that"
are some common defensive reactions among many. If you feel that people are
trying to insulate you from your problems or from questioning your
actions....let them know that it isn't acceptable. You need to hear the
criticisms and anger of the survivor(s) and their allies. As well you need
to stop others from engaging in silencing behaviour. Let them know that if
they truly care about you that instead of defending your character and
reacting to the accusations they need to help you examine yourself and
figure out ways of transforming dominating behaviours.
9. Respond To The Wishes of The Survivor and The Wishes Of The Community
Taking responsibility for our harmful actions is an integral part of the
healing process. You will need to respond to the wishes of the survivor and
the community not just for their healing, but yours as well. If s/he or they
wish that you be suspended from certain projects/activities or that you
engage in a batterers/assailants program or that you do book reports on
books about ending rape and abuse or if they want you to do anything within
the realm of possibility don't argue with them....give them what they ask
for. You need to show the survivor and the community that you are acting in
good faith and that you are ready to deal with your problems of abuse or at
the very least that you are willing to sincerely investigate the possibility
that you engaged in abusive behaviour. You need to show the survivor and the
community that you respect their autonomy and their ability to make
decisions that meet their needs and desires for safety, healing, and ending
oppression. Again if you want to live in a world free of abuse,rape, and
oppression you will support survivor autonomy and community
self-determination even if you feel you are being "falsely accused". . Do
not engage in the silencing behaviour of attacking the demands and process
of the survivor(s) or the community. This is what abusers and their
supporters typically do to create a smokescreen of issues to take the heat
off of themselves.
10. Take Responsibility....Stop Abuse and Rape Before It Starts.
It takes a lot of courage and self-knowledge to admit that you've hurt
someone, that you compromised their dignity and self worth, or that you used
power over someone in the worst ways. It takes a lot of sincerity to make an
apology without expecting to be applauded or thanked for it. However, this
is what it will take to start overcoming our abusive tendencies. To know
that you have wronged someone and to do otherwise is to perpetuate the
hierarchy. It is to be more than simply complicit within it, but to actively
support it. It will take honesty, diligent self investigation, and
compassion to start to overcome our abusive tendencies. Once your able to
admit that you have a problem with (sometimes or always) abusing people you
can begin to learn how and why you do it. You can learn early warning signs
that you're slipping back into old patterns, and you'll be better able to
check yourself. My life has been a life of unlearning such patterns of
abuse, of learning to reject the roles of both the abuser and the abused,
and it is far from over. Bad habits are easily taken up again, and many
times it is easy to assume that we are not wielding power over someone. We
must persistently question this assumption just as we would demand that any
assumption be questioned, lest it become dogma.
It is crucial that we learn to ask for consent from our sexual partners. It
is crucial that we learn to recognize aggressive and passive aggressive
abuse in its various emotional, economic, physical, and sexual
manifestations, and that we stop it before it escalates to more severe and
harmful levels. We need to call it out when we are aware of it in other
people, as well as ourselves This process is a process of overcoming of
oppression, of rejecting the roles of oppressor and oppressed. It is a path
that leads to freedom, and a path that is formed by walking. Will you take
the first step?
wispy cockles currently resides in Richmond VA where he organizez with the
Richmond Queer Space Project and spins records with the 215noise crew. He
can be contacted at 120 w marshall st or by e-mailing
wispy at defenestrator.org