[Breakingthesilence] readmereadmereadmereadmereadmereadmereadmepepola:))

Bosa Janjusevic bosa.j at yubc.net
Lun 29 Mar 06:14:05 CEST 2004

      hello.
      okay, let's initiate this list. we are 17 subscribers. we are somehow the gender working group to prepare this issue for the next european pga conference. there are only three persons who participated to the dijon's wintermeeting (from this meeting came some concret proposals, you can found them on the web site: http://www.nadir.org/nadir/initiativ/agp/free/dijon/gender.htm ), the others disappeared... since the belgrade's preparation meeting in october where two proposals were blocked (to have one gender-day and to have women and men and if wanted other 'non-mixed' spaces) there happened not so much about it. the proposals should be reformulated and explained again by the 'gender working group'. we tried to contact the people who were interested after the dijon's meeting and created this mailinglist. but to be honest, this is the first mail on it... so far as we understood, this issue was not discussed in the january meeting neither. until now this famous gender working group didn't really exist, and the question is what to do now. we feel really uncomfortable with this 'blocking situation', especially as it seems not resolvable (?) on local belgrade level. (since the october meeting discussions on this issue have always been violent and some people left dsm). we don't know really how to act if people will maintain the block. in the worst case we can accept that people are not interested in gender issue but we can not accept that they block concret proposals. this is even in the opposite with our idea of pga basis organizing. we see it both - the gender day and women etc. spaces blocking - as a problem, but since it might be a big difficulty to arrange the whole day on gender with local people, we think it's not worth that work, we are probably not enough people and we have not enough time to work really on a concept (the idea about this gender day was to make sure that people will not have to choose between this and other topics, to show that we consider it as a really important issue, but it shouldn't look like a special event and after we can go back to the 'normal' program). we would much more like to work on contacts and content and have as many gender issue workshops as possible during the whole conference. still, we feel it's very important to work on having non-mixed spaces.
      we would like to know what you are thinking about this and what kind of involvement you are willing to take (it makes no sense to focus on gender if there are not enough people working on it).

      beside this important points to be discussed, here is a list of concrete things to work on:

      - realize a questionnary to be sent with the application form (see dijon report) and think about how to use the answers in an interesting way...

      - leaflet for the conference opening, layout, print

      - specific gender contact work to invite groups to propose workshops and/or present their work. can we imagine to write a specific short call that could be added to the general call or sent as a special call ?

      - collecting texts for a gender-reader, organizing layout and printing. translation?

      for the moment we are just listing this projects. before to take responsabilities for some tasks, we would like to have discussion. it seems important to us to have it before the april's meeting. and maybe we should send the outcome of our discussion (our concerns and concrete proposals??) to the process list. both of us we won't be at the next meeting. is there anyone here who will come to belgrade?

      please take the time to think about all this and share it!
      take care!

      bosa (belgrade) and inga (grenoble, sans titre network)