[Breakingthesilence] gender and social herarchies... a questionnaire

ni co lu nicolu at chutelibre.org
Mar 30 Mar 16:52:09 CEST 2004

we worked on a proposal of questionnaire for the pga network. Give us
feedbacks. We'd like to put it on the list soon. We would like to know if
some of you can translate it into other languages. Please check the spelling
for us :)

fin (genderlab - london) and nico (tanneries/sans-titre - dijon)

Gender and social hierarchies... A questionnaire from "breaking the silence"

intro

We are researching gender, patriarchy and social hierarchies within the
anti-authoritarian and anticapitalist movement because of the widespread
experiences of problems in social interactions between men and women both
inside the movement and in wider society.

We would like to know how various groups and individuals are struggling in
their local contexts about patriarchy.

We hope this questionnaire will help to start debates within the movement
and practical projects to address gender issues.

This is part of the preparation process for the next european pga conference
in belgrade (23rd to 29th of july 2004).

The gender working group for the pga conference would like to use this
informations to compile a report summarising the results and giving examples
of people's experiences.

The questionnaire is anonymous and any contributions used as examples within
the report will not be linked with specific groups or locations.

Please spread the questionnaire widely. We also invite you to send us any
texts concerning gender issues which have inspired you.

You can answer this questionnaire in your own language if you find this
easier.

Please feel that you don't have to answer all the questions.

Answers to : breakingthesilence at gendertrouble.org

We also invite you to send your answers to question 9 (about women only and
men only spaces) directly to the process list, as the proposal to have such
spaces during the conference was blocked at the october preparatory meeting
and this may help everybody to work through this block.

We've defined what we mean by some of the terms used in the questionnaire :

Gender :

We understand gender to be the norms, social and cultural organisation based
on sexual differences in our societies. we consider that the gender
organisation of our society doens't find its origin in natural diferences of
behaviour between men and women but should be analysed as social, economical
and cultural constructions that create social status hierarchies and are not
fixed.

Patriarchy :

Patriarchy is the social system in which men are awarded higher social
status than women.

The soocial, political, cultural and historical basis of which is
predominant in the nuclear family and the social sphere and is characterised
by the domination of men over women.

Hierarchy :

Hierarchy is a value system in which your worth is measured by the number of
people and things you control and how dutifully you obey those above you.

Questionnaire :

1) are you male, female or other ?

2) what is your age ?

3) where are you located ?

4) what groups are you affiliated with ?

5) have you or do you experience differences in personal power between men
and women in your working groups, communities, job or family ? for example;
in disscussions, writing, taking decisions, handling infrastructures, direct
actions, daily tasks, taking care of people... who does what and how ?

6) is the anti-patriarchal struggle adressed in your working groups,
communities, job or family ? If so how ?

7) has your group/community experienced incidences of sexual harassment,
assault or gender domination through physical behaviour and rethoric ? If so
how did you deal with it personally and how did your group deal with it ?

8) would like to tell us about you personnal experiences of gender
inequality ?

9) what do you think/feel about women only and men only
discussions/working/support groups/spaces ?