[Pga_europe_process] Re: Potpun Govore Ali ...

Andrej Grubacic zapata at sezampro.yu
Mon Jun 7 20:24:39 CEST 2004

Dear Asim,

I trust your best intentions. I am myself not interested in personal
arguments. I can offer you some arguments from personal perspective, and
this is what I have done. Hope some of it was helpful. As for the question
you raised:

>anyway, we have proposed that the warning
"Warning: Peoples Global Action is run by a bureaucratic clique riven
with racism, sexism and pro-western imperialism."
go on all further publicity. that proposal still stands, and it is yet
to be discussed, no arguments have been put forward as to why this warning
is not appropriate.<

My argument would be that pga conference prep work is not being 'run by'
anybody, it is a collective process open to everybody who would like to jump
in, with an eye on pga hallmarks. Secondly, accusing a group from Belgrade,
all of them witnesses of 'humanitarian bombing' many of us will remember for
a long time to come, to be 'pro western imperialists', is a bit distasteful-
and certainly not correct.

Racism: I second your insistence of reformulation of the meeting - pga in
Europe sounds fine, and I think that this argument is on mark. I would
propose to others to start implementing this- as many already did.

Sexism is a very important topic and there is a gender group working on the
best proposals for both, organizational process and conference itself. As
far as I understood, you have/had some criticism re their work. They have
replied and I hope that this dialogue, if constructive, will continue.

DSM! has been very active in promoting pga conference in eastern Europe. Our
friends from _Abolishing the Borders from Below_ were of great help in this
regard. PGA contact team was also busy. DSM mail box is full of questions
from EE. I hope that presence is going to be adequate to the interest
expressed in emails.  However, for too many of reasons, nobody can guarantee
a success in this respect.

People engaged in pga conference preparation work are certainly riven with
many things but , from our local standpoint, this would include tiredness,
exhaustion, neglect of local fights and issues, burnouts, emotional,
professional, political and other challenges...... But I wouldn't say that
this group of people- local and from Europe and surrounding areas- promotes
sexism, racism and imperialism. More accurate would be that we are not very
good in confronting it, despite our efforts. It would be important if we
would , during this organizational process, to find and establish a way (s),
mechanism (s), constructive ideas so we could pass them on to the next
convenor.

Otherwise, and especially without more on-the -ground- help coming from
people internationally, this years conference is not going to happen- but
not because of political incorrectness.

All of this is not to say that your criticism is not serious and should not
be taken and recognized as such. What I am arguing here for is to make the
criticism as constructive as possible, so we could have a successful
organizational process leading to a successful conference. Mistakes we make
we should try to correct and make it easier for the next convenor organizing
a conference in Europe.

Perhaps a good way to proceed is some sort of collective assessment: to
prepare, for the conference, and before, for this list, a balance sheet of
things which should be (un)done. Regional structure, support group,
infopoints, sexism and nationalism, racism and inadequate language,
visibility and role of the pga, relationship of global and local,
organization of a network - all the things you, and all of us, think that
should be bettered, improved and critically challenged.

Also, I do hope that other people and other groups are going to address
issues you raised, with proper arguments.

Solid,
                 Andrej