[Pga_europe_process] Re: [Breakingthesilence] mobility

friday friday at nadir.org
Mon Jul 5 15:46:27 CEST 2004

Dear West Essex Zapatista,

I think you are introducing an unnecessarily aggressive tone with the style of
your e-mails which will not help this debate.

A lot of the points you make about race and gender are very valid. However, all
people present at the London preparation meeting (including you and me) carry
the responsability for the missing gender discussion. It is not the
responsability of nicolu. There definitely should have been a discussion during
the meeting in London (there wasn't really a session on Monday).

So, let me try and summarise:

There is a block on men-only workshops (raised in Belgrade and not confirmed in
London but still there), and no block on women-only spaces anymore. The reason
for the block on men-only spaces is because race creates clear differences which
have been ignored in the conference preparation discussion so far.

The solutions I can think of:
1. The block on men-only workshops is reaffirmed and there will be no men-only
workshops in Belgrade.
or:
2. The concepts prepared for the men-only workshops include the dimension of
race and maybe the block is cancelled.
or:
3. Everybody gets fed up with the discussion and nobody is willing to prepare
any workshops on gender issues in Belgrade.

My opinion: Quite frankly, I don't care whether you choose option 1 or 2 but I
would like to avoid option 3. Especially since locally in Belgrade, there are
quite some positive dynamics on preparing the gender theme, according to Paula.

Please let us know what your choice is.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

friday