[Pga_europe_process] workshop on oil & climate chaos

markb at gn.apc.org markb at gn.apc.org
Wed Jul 7 23:39:07 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I hope it's OK to write to the list - I wasn't sure of which
individual addresses to use.

A group of us based in the UK (involved in part with the Rising Tide
network) would like to run a workshop or event during the conference
on issues around oil and climate change.

Those issues might include 'climate justice' (ie. the concept that
climate change will hit the poorest hardest, particularly women and
the global south, and that solutions to it need to embrace social
justice more than technology), environmental refugees, a strong
critique of 'emissions trading' and the business deal sometimes known
as the Kyoto protocol, wars (in part) for oil, support for
communities on the front line of oil extraction & production, what
forms of resistance works best, and sorting out ecological,
non-corporate, community-run alternatives.

This workshop could also act as another link with the 'Energy &
Social Change' conference taking place in Escanda, northern Spain, in
August.

Could someone let me know what the procedure is to book a space to
look at these issues in the conference programme?

Also, I was hoping that the conference reader could have at least
something a perspective that sees ecological and social justice
issues as completely connected. What's the best way to move forward
on that?

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you in Belgrade,

Mark