[Pga_europe_process] PGA conference organization synthesis and summary + Draft for the practical guide

nicolu at chutelibre.org nicolu at chutelibre.org
Tue Jul 13 04:17:26 CEST 2004


please read it and feedback quickly on this ! (an rtf edited version
should arrive soon, but I'm too tired now to layout better this one)
PGA conference organization synthesis and summary + Draft for the
practical guide
yo, this is a document that aims at helping people involved with the
conference organisation and participants to know about the organisational
process, important decisions that were taken (and why) and to make it
easier to get involved and make it evolute if needed.
It is meant to improve concrete self-management and participative
horizontal structures, and everybody who'll  join the conference should
carefully read this. Especially people who are now in the middle of the
conference organization or just joined. People should especially check if
we don't mention here things that were decided and dreamed of during the
organisational process but that won't happen or be available because of a
lack of time, technical facilities or because of yet having no people to
prepare it.
In a same idea to push direct democracy and understanding of the
conference structures by the participants, it appeared to me that most of
these informations (maybe with some written in a nicer and sometimes
summarized way and with a better english) should appear in the conference
practical guide.
I would propose that once the things here have been reread by a few people
involved and put in a kind of practical guide, we can send it by email to
make people know about main stuff a bi t in advance, we could also put it
on the website and then wait for a few days before the conference to have
all the final informations, decisions (especially about the decision
making structure) and then do the final writing, editing and photocopies
of the practical guide.

Make it  quickly known if you find some mistakes or part of it unclear

In Italic in this text, you'll find technical or more detailed comments,
or things with decision not taken yet but that will have to be decided
before the conference.Some of these italic informations seemed quite important but might be
unnecessary to be included in the general practical guide.
nicolu with the help of ikkyu //

- introduction

- Preparation process of the conference

- Organisational structure and participation to the conference

There are still no people  to coordinate/take responsabilities for these
various important tasks before and during the conference
Coordination group for the conference

Decision making process

Invitation to the conference

Call for the conference and contact work

 LIST OF MATERIAL NEEDED (TO COMPLETED BY VARIOUS LOGISTIC GROUPS..)

Application for participation and workshops

The week before the conference and volunteers arriving in advance

Content and program

Gender issue specific debates and decisions

Outreach with local people before and during the conference

cultural program

Opening event in Belgrade

Embedded meetings during the conference
Translation

Contacts

Locations

Camp organisation and structures

The various spaces of the conference

taking care of the conference spaces
Toilets, showers
Waste
Sleeping, lodging
Food

Ecorating
Bar
Multimedia center
Video and screenings
Conference daily newsletter
Kid's space

- Conflicts and agressions resolution / threats on the conference

Legal assistance

Selling things or not selling

Visibility through mainstream medias

Sound system & radio station broadcasting

Office for coordination

Finances
Individual financial participation for the conference
Insurances

Visas

Actions following the conference ?

A few informations about DSM and other collectives around belgrade
A few words about various places where part of the conference could take
place
things missing :

- things about meetings techniques (handsigns, facilitation, reports...)

- updated flowchart

- maps and how to go there

- contacts for the conference

- legal informations

- more infos about DSM and locations

- a few infos about serbia and the present situation

- cyrillic alphabet

- some medical advisory stuffs

Preparation process of the conference

The conference was organised through collaboration between groups and
individuals involved in the pga process and local belgrade convenors
“DSM”. Important decision about the conference structure and organisation
were taken during open preparatory meetings. This preparatory process
started in june 2003 in belgrade. 4 of these meetings happened in belgrade
and the final one in london in may 2004.
All decision were taken through consensus and with horizontal practices
(didn't mean that it was perfect but that we tried to do it that way...).
Everybody was offered to participate and take responsibilities for the
various needed tasks. ..and to be transparent on the way they would take
on these tasks.You can find detailed reports of the various meeting on the
www.pgaconference.org
General informations about the conference

we'll have a meeting of five days with one day before for arrival, meeting
with people, visiting locals and one extra day in the end to have a
collective deconstruction of the camp andconference structures.

we'll have different kind of times and meetings, specifically announced as
either workshops, presentations, working group on a practical project,
debates...
we'll announce that if people want to build sustainable anticapitalist
self-made structures ( such as self-made toilets or showers or energy
system they're invited to do it, but thateverybody doesn't have to get
involved with the building of these self-made structures.
*	we'll announce that the camp will also be a kind of open space /
laboratory to bring and have workshops on any sustainable technologies
such as windcraft, solar panels and such things.

Organisational structure and participation to the conference

The conference is organized through various working groups / teams (see
the flowchart for all details).
During the conference, we'll try to push collective self-management an
open participation on everything, following more or less leiden system of
different pool and teams in wich people can get involved such as
translation, facilitation, newspaper, cooking, cleaning welcoming, infos,
computers and media...
we'll to try to push  the involvment of people in daily practical basic
matters such as cleaning and cooking, washing dishes...
we'll try to create clear organsationnal structures, explained and
organized before the conference so that people can easily know how to get
involved and that it doesn't take all week to be understood and work
(which doesn't mean that nothing can change once the conference has
started.
People will be asked on the application form what they want to volunteer on..

*	We don’t want specific people to be just volunteers and to have on the
other side some consumers of the conference, but rather to push everybody
who will come to the conference to volunteer and share the various
responsibilities, in a spirit of avoiding too much specialisations.
Wherever possible for the practicalities of the camp, we’ll work with
non-profit collectives and volunteer based solutions. For large tasks
we’ll use collectives that agree with the ethics of the pga. When not
possible we’ll ask collectives that are as close as possible from the pga
principles.
*	They're will not be  reduced donations for people who want to volunteer.
(nobody is more volunteer than others and we don't want to resolve money
inequalities through having some people working and some not)
There are still no people  to coordinate/take responsabilities for these
various important tasks before and during the conference
organizing facilitation, minutes taking and reports during the conference

press team

medical team

legal team

electricity

insurances

telephone and internet connection

sleeping spaces at locals

visa work

hardware/equipment

and surely others...

Coordination group for the conference

The coordination group is made of 4 coordination teams of two people each
coordinating the work of the various teams . These coordination group will
have to organise through meetings, mails or irc meetings.
The 4 coordination team :

a programm group that makes sure that everything goes together in a
coherent program / applications
a communication group : website, application for participants , infopoint,
contact, newsletter, radio, press communication / negociation with the
authorities / contact with local people.
a logistic group : location, venues, campsite, translation, videowork,
internetcafe/office, projection, logging, sanitation/ water, food. / kids
group / security (bertha)
a finance group : participation, foundraising, travel help?.

 There will be one people from DSM and one people from abroad in each
 coordination team.
These people need to make sure that the work is done and to ease the
coordination and information flow between the various subgroups.
Decision making process

THIS PART IS ONLY A REPORT FROM THE LAST MEETING AND A PROPOSAL. IT HAS TO
BE DEBATED AND DECIDED ON THE WEEK BEFORE THE CONFERENCE.
PROPOSAL FOR THE VARIOUS DECISION MAKING STRUCTURES DURING THE CONFERENCE

I was supposed to work with nina on an explanation of the various words
and meeting techniques that needs to be explained (plenary, affinity
groups, spoke's council, consensus, facilitation, handsigns...) but we
kind of had our communication cut. So if she doesn't have enough time to
do it, I'll send a compilation of all these explanations myself in the
next days.
I wanted this proposal to be more detailed but as we're already totally
late with this proposal I wanted to make sure to offer at least a basis of
debate on the list before to leave so that it can be collectively
completed in the next days.
We also wanted to give a general overview of the pga structures and latest
internal debates in the network and try to define a first list of
questions and issues that people would have debate and decide about. I'll
try to do a first proposal about it before to leave.
Following the london's meeting report, I would propose that we have a
meeting to decide on all this on 19th or 20th of august so to make sure
that we can add it inthe final practical guide.

Please give quick feedbacks to this.

bisous / nicolu

RECALL FROM THE LAST MEETING

Discussions were really interesting, but we didn't reach a final decision
(one of the reason being that all these pga things about plenary or not ?,
spokes councils, small groups, consensus decision making, pga structures
problematics, and other marvelous creatures were quite new to some people
from belgrade and others and that they wanted more time for explanations
and thinking about it).
nicolu at no-log.org made an attempt to regroup some of the ideas and to
formulate a proposal. It was decided that skrati at yahoo.com and
nicolu at no-log.org would rework on this proposal and add to it explanations
about the various terms used and detail a bit more the issues that would
have to be discussed about the pga network.This document should include
the issues that need to be decided upon, in a clear manner that explains
the political implications and main arguments. It would also need to be
translated.
A collective decision about the decision making structure will then be
taken the week before with both people from belgrade and other people
coming in advance to help with the organisation.

JUST A REALLY SMALL BASIC THINGS TO HELP THE UNDERSTANDING OF THIS BEFORE
MORE DETAILED EXPLANATIONS :
CONSENSUS DECISION MAKING is when everybody in a group has the same power
to decide  and that you try to debate until you find a common agreement
about a project or a common solution to a problem, instead of taking a
decision by a vote.
A PLENARY is when everybody meet in the same room and try to take decision
together
A SPOKES COUNCIL is when various groups meet in the same space. They stay
together as a group (the division into group can be made following
affinity criterias or not).A problem, or situation, or project on which people have to decide is
first  explained to everybody at the same time so that everybody share the
same informations.If proposals have been made by the various groups before the spokes
council, they are also presented to everybody.
Then the various groups meet together on a limited time to try to find
proposals and consensus.
After the time is passed they all send a delegate in the center of the
space to report about their proposals and consensus.
The various delegates have then a limited time to try to find a common
consensus between all proposals
They then go back to their group to report and see if this consensus can
be agreed on by their group.
These various steps are repeated until a common consensus between each
group is found.
Following the same process and alternate times between group meetings and
delegates meetings, the various groups then have to make sure that people
are found to endorse the various tasks  needed to make the consensus work.
The delegates don't have to be the same people during the whole spokes
council process.

1) FOR WHAT DO WE NEED COLLECTIVE DECISION MAKING STRUCTURES DURING THIS
CONFERENCE ?
It would be better to agree on  clear decision making structures before
the conference. These decision making structures concern various
situations and various issues :
a) for logistics and organization just before and during the conference.
General decisions, links between the various workings groups, ways to open
it to new people...
b) for discussions about the pga network future, structures and evolutions
and the decision that have to be taken about it.It concerns for example (and not only) :
- the various lists

- the pga website

- the organisation of the next conference

- any other project that we would collectively decide to organize as pga

- links with other continental pga

- decision about which collective will be the next convenor

- feedbacks and future of the infopoints structures

- feedback on this conference organizational process and thoughts about
the next one
- strategic debate about the aim and future of the pga network (one of the
question thrown at the dijon's winter pga meeting being if pga was only an
networking tool for the anti-authoritarian anticapitalist movement through
infopoints, conferences, website and lists or a network that could also
endorse actions and campaings in the name of pga.)
c) for emergency collective decisions that could need to be taken during
the conference
2) DEBATES AND PROPOSALS

I try to give here a feedback about the discussions we had n these issues
at the last london international preparatory meeting and then a proposal.
a ) decision making about the logistic and organization of the conferences.

Debate : Regarding the logistical/organization decisions the week before
and during the conference, some wanted to keep it under the responsibility
of a small coordination group (as it was done in leiden) in order not to
have too many daily meetings with too many people and not to loose to much
time. Others wanted to find a way to make it a bit more open and
participative.
Some also thought that during the conference it would be really important
and useful to have a system of daily morning plenary (even quit short) in
order to all see each other and exchange directly important informations,
others thought it would be useless, tiring and an inadequate way to share
informations and moreover, to take decisions.

Proposal :

As many important decisions and guidelines got debated and decided during
the preparation process, the logistic just before and during the
conference shouldn't create too many important new debates. But it still
has to be organized, coordinated, open to new people involvement and able
to deal with unexpected situation that will surely make new debates arise.
The proposal would be that the various organization/logistic groups (see
the flowchart for details) could have regular open and announced meetings
whenever they feel the need to in order to involve new people and to make
it work.Obviously, some groups will need to meet a lot more during the preparation
week, some others more during the conference period.
There could also be a coordination group meeting everyday, open to
delegates of the various organization/logistic groups (which doesn't mean
that delegates of every working groups have to be present all the time on
this daily meetings, but just when they want to or feel the need to). This
daily meetings would aim at coordinating the work and taking decisions
when it can't be taken by a working group itself or directly between two
groups in agreement with the various consensus coming from the
organization process.
This system could be kept during the week of the conference with, in
addition, a small morning / breakfast plenary (something like 30 minutes)
just to exchange important informations and calls (and not as a decisional
structure)
We should remember that if we want all this not to be too heavy and to
take too much time, we should give enough autonomy to the various working
groups and have most of the tasks dealt by this small groups.
b) decisions making about the pga structures

debate :
Regarding  the discussions and decisions about the pga network, we decided
to find something else than a group of  "specialist" meeting during one
week and a big decisional plenary at the end as it happened in leiden (it
was in my opinion a quite interesting experience but also to many people's
opinion quite frustrating and not accurate to take decisions with 400
people).
If we want to make this network work, everybody feeling involved should
take interest and participate by one way or another to its structures and
the decisions made about it. The idea would be to have it more
participative and involving more people during the time of the conference
than in leiden and to find something better than a plenary to take
complicated decisions with a few hundred people.

Proposal :
There could be a specific time and various specific spaces everyday for
something like eight group of people to meet.
People could choose between groups that would be more affinity based and
other regrouping people that don't know each other or people that are not
part of the samenetworks or collectives.

To make it an available time for many people to join, it would be better
if we don't have too many other events of the program happening at the
same time of the day.These meetings should be limited in time (something like one hour and an
half for example).
These meetings should always be opened for new people to join.

The various groups should try to do daily reports about the main debates
and proposals they have and make it available to the other groups.
They should try to compile a final report of their discussions and
proposals before  the 27th in the evening and make it available to every
participants to the conference (maybe through the newspaper).
Then there should be a final spokes council of these 8 groups (always with
the possibility for new people to join) on the morning or the afternoon of
the 28th in order to find consensus between the various proposals and also
to make sure that we have people/collectives that will take responsibility
for the various tasks

c) decision making structure on emergency situations

It concerns the eventuality of emergency situations/complicated general
problems or big political decisions that can not be easily handle by
existing working groups/coordination team within the frame of consensus
made during the preparation process.
It could concern from a state repression on the conference to big tensions
arising inside, or a common pga statement that would have to be made on
whatever problematic situation, or if important  consensus made on the
organization would appear practically unworkable ...)
It could be dealt with by first having a small plenary to give everybody 
common informations and then by having a spokes council to deal with it
and find a common agreement.

Invitation to the conference

The participation will not be limited, but everyone will be informed about
PGA principles.
It was decided that even if happening in europe, it was open to people of
other continents and that it would sound less imperialist to call it "pga
conference in europe" instead "european pga conference" on any future
official publications.
We encourage people from anywhere in the world to come, and make it known
that we can try to do the visa work but won't have much money to help them
to come.
Financially speaking, we'll focus on helping people from excluded part
from the European continent and areas around the meditteranean to come.

Call for the conference and contact work

The Pga hallmarks should appear on every call for the conference. Groups
and individuals coming are supposed to agree and fit with the pga
hallmarks, even though we don't want to create a control system to make
sure that it's the case.
There should be work to contact groups that have never been involved in
any PGA conference or initiative yet
A contact group has been formed, and has informed other collectives about
the conference and generally spread tool of information about the
conference to infopoints and people.. This contact group had the task to
compile informations, distribute and make available ressources (pga
presentation newspaper, call for the conference...), and to create a list
of who has already been contacted...
the contact work should be done mostly in a regional and decentralized way

we should forward the call widerly than the pga list - the money is a
problem for people to come and we need to deal with it for the next
preparatory meeting.

 LIST OF MATERIAL NEEDED (TO COMPLETED BY VARIOUS LOGISTIC  GROUPS..)

big military or circus tents /smaller ones

electric cables and plugs

lots of chairs and tables

photocopy machine A4 printing paper / computer printers

small fm radios

megaphone

walkie talkies

medical kits and medical materials

wood, big tarpolin pieces, rope, metal bars, nails, screw and gnerally

building material and buildings tools

all kind of small office material as pen, papers, glue, cisors whatever...


Application for participation and workshops

IMPORTANT ! In order to make this mess organized and workable (from
translation to food, sleeping and also to have a bit of a program in
advance), everyone has to fill the application form for participation and
workshops proposals as soon as possible before the conference.The week before the conference and volunteers arriving in advance

we will announce on every call for the conference that everybody can come
at least one week in advance to build and prepare the infrastructures of
the meeting, general oragnization and outreach with local people.
DSM will make sure that a space to camp and do the work will be available
one week in advance.
people from the entire PGA network will be invited to take on the specific
assignments necessary to organize the conference. (as sound, visas,
finances, translation, building, newspapers.... and whatsoever)
- The volunteer camp :  It's  a group of around 15-30 people coming two or
three days in advance to help with material practicalities and building
work. It's through an organisation who organize these kind of volunteer
camp on different kind of projects. They don't much relationship with the
conference and will eat and live autonomously from other people arriving
in advance to help as well.

Content and program

there will not be a limit to the number of workshops as we're for
diversity and don't want to arbiter which proposal should be accepted or
not. There will however be attempts to group similar events into one or a
few.
The groups involved with the preparation of the conference wanted to
create some specific focus on some issues that were discussed during the
preparation process..
For each of these issues, there were people (issue coordinators) who took
the responsibility to write a political text to introduce the issue.
These text can be used in the reader or newsletter of the conference, send
on the lists before the conference to help people to find workshops and
debates that can fit in. These texts can be used by or inspire the various
people who are going to do some press work about the conference.
These texts don't give any « pga » commonly agreed political ideology, but
are just texts of people or collectives who want to present roughly their
problematic about an issue and put it into debate.
Therefore, these text won't be signed or presented as some "pga" texts,
but simply signed by the people or collectives who wrote it. The people
who took the responsibility to work on some issue had to coordinate the
various workshops with each other and maybe create links between the
people who want to work on the same issue.
The various issues and people responsible for it (these coordination
groups are open, so please join them and contact the people !) :
	Gender issues: breakingthesilence at gendertrouble.org
*
	Migrations: migrativeart at skynet.be

Working conditions, class, workers and non-workers struggles, labor
society (that's not the final name for this issues but just words to
define what we want to talk about): migrativeart at skynet.be + Stella and
Dimitris from eurodusnie but I don't have their email adresses)
Critics of industrial society, sustainable technologies:
nicolu at chutelibre.org
Critics of European integration, Balkan situation, nationalism:
migrativeart at skynet.be
Alternatives to capitalism: zapata at sezampro.yu

Militarisation of politics, wars, imperialism and social control:
bozavine at yahoo.co / javier at spc.org
*	Global movement : Are we a mouvement ? what next ? Going out of the
ghetto ? : skrati at yahoo.com / javier at spc.org

Gender issue specific debates and decisions

! I Put this here has we had a specific decisionnal process on that issue
and that I'm trying to give back here all the important decisions. But
maybe part of it would more have this place in the reader than in the
practical guide, or maybe in none of the two. !

During the pga winter meeting in dijon in march 2003, it was collectively
decided  to give concrete proposals about gender issue for the next
conference.
These proposals were linked partly with reports of sexual harassment
during pga linked events, but moreover because of a feeling that the
gender issue was often taken a secondary issue and discriminated inside
pga and anticapitalists movements.
Some people, especially women, often involved with the network since quite
a long time, felt more than fed up about it and wanted to find practical
ways to push a bit more the gender issue both inside anti-capitalist and
anti-authoritarian movement and in society in general.
Then, during the following steps of the preparation process, some of the
proposals previously agreed on (having a day focused on gender issue in
the middle of the conference, creating a women only space and letting the
possibility for men-only  workshops and discussions.) were blocked by some
people who thought it was giving too much priority on one issue over
others and that it was creating a segregationist poilitic. After much
heated debates, explanations and texts about the reason behind these
proposals and behind the block, everything was finally agreed on again.
So the final proposals were :

- to have a flyer which should be spread before the conference. This flyer
would be a sort of warning on sexist attitudes, sexual abuses and
harassment and ways to prevent it during the conference. It was agreed
that the flyer would be included in a PGA practical guide that would be
given to everybody at the conference.
- to specifically invite feminist and anti-patriarchal collectives to
participate and give workshops during the conference.
- to start an open questionnary on gender/anti-patriarchy struggles inside
the movement.
- to create a women only« space, where to meet for specific discussions,
and also  as a possible place to feel safe of sexist/sexual aggression.
- to give the possibility for anti-patriarchal men only workshops and
dicussions.
- to have day only focused on gender issues during the conference.

It has to be made clear that gender workshops are not only about gender
issue inside the “movement”, but about gender issue in society/counter
society in general and that the aim is to link as much as possible gender
issues with other issues discussed during the conference.
Outreach with local people before and during the conference

Contact activities with locals before the conference is a really important
job if we want to create good relations with locals and even try to
involve them in part of the conference activities. It can unfortunately
mostly be done by locals before the conference. we thought international
participants to the conference could help developing it the week before
through either open collective dinners, meetings, screenings, spreading of
information about the conference...
cultural program

Some musical evenings will open and close the conference... it will be
asked in the application form if people want to propose some other
cultural contents.
These musical/festival events will happen at a place separated from the camp.

There will be other things organized by the culture group (exhibitions,
street theatre, screenings....)
It would be good to try to involve the groups/bands/cultural
actors/actresses in some workshops and political activities of the
conference as a way to prevent a big division between culture and
politics.
The problem of alcohol and drugs atmosphere during gigs can easilly help
violence racist/sexist/homophobic attitudes to arise. We should therefore
talk very seriously about the ways to prevent all that.
Visibility day in Belgrade

Sava Center is a big institutional place in Belgrade where a big public
opening event to present pga will be organised. We could invite various
groups even from elsewhere that Europe to come and present their
struggles.
There were debates about the use of the sava as it is the most expensive
building in belgrade and that some people were not pleased with the way it
would make the conference look like.
A pga conference is quite different from a social forum because it's more
participative, organised horizontally and autonomously from state
institutions, try to break leaders system and to have workshops and
debates done by grassroots activists and not professional politicians or
universitarian ideologists. We should therefore be careful on the kind of
dynamic this more massive, media-looking visibility day can give to the
conference, and that it doesn't look like a social forum but shows a more
accurate pictures of a pga conference.
We agreed to have this visibility day at the sava center on various
conditions : :it will be taken if it's for free

it's seen as reproducing the conference in another place

we'll try to have not only presentation/speeches but participative
structures and things that can represent the way pga conference works

we'll try not to have only a few spokepersons to present their movement
and pga but to show a larger diversity of people talking

if the sava center conference happen, maybe we'll be able to find
extra-money to invite a few people from other continents for the
conferencein general.

it can be used for cultural things / exhibition as well

it could be linked with other visibility activities in belgrade in the
streets the same day.


Embedded meetings during the conference

People involved with No border network are organizing an action caravn in
eastern europe that going to reach belgrade conference, where they're
going to have a no border network meeting.
People from eastern european countries working with social forums and
trying make it more horizontal and self-managed will also have a meeting
during the pga conference.
Abolishing the borders from below, an anarchist networking magazine from
eastern europe will have a magazine coordination meeting during the pga
conference.
We should ask all the embedded meetings if it's only internal meetings or
if they also want to propose more open/public debate workshops The
embedded meetings should fill the application forms for their workshops
and precise if it will be public or closed to people of their network.
Translation

A system of simultaneous translation with small radio transmitters will be
experienced
We'll try to do this with the help of the Babel network (a network of
translators who do volunteer work for big social forums but are also ready
to work with more radical structures)
Participants to the conference are encouraged to bring very small radios
with earphones and to specify the languages they need in their application
form.
Contacts

we would need here contacts of the offices + infopoints + legal
assistance... + maybe others
Locations

(we need here basic informations and even more details about jajinci +
rakovica + maps and some public transport How to go informations
the participants of the conference agreed to choose a place that would not
be in the middle of nowhere and isolated from people. A place where we
could meet and make links with local people and struggles"
*	it was agreed to use a combination of solid housing (schools, squats, 
)
and camp(s).
Camp organisation and structures

For all of the logistic groups there was a decision to first look at
ecological / Do It Yourself solutions to build/find stuffs needed and in
last resort to buy or rent capitalist Industrial / chemichal shits. This
mandate will have then to be taken into account and discussed for each
specific point.

The various spaces of the conference

a camp

an eating and cooking place for rad service and collective kitchens cooking

medical space

info point + legal assistance space

press points

kids space

women-only space

office

computer /indymedia centre

bar

newspaper room

video room
+ 8 different places to have from small workshops to big debates at the
same time
It would therefore make around 18 rooms/tents/spaces needed

taking care of the conference spaces

there should always be someone taking care of the place before, during
after. so that it would be open, available and clean afterwards.
There is a possibility to build the same type of dome than the one used
for the NoBorder camp in Strasbourg. If people of Belgrade find a wood
factory where we can buy the various pieces of wood needed (it's only two
very simple and usually very cheap wood sticks).Toilets, showers
we’ll build ecological toilets and not rent chemical ones There’s also the
possibility to build showers in the school (debate about that and
alternative possibilities)Waste
Participants to the conference are asked  to produce the less waste
possible because it's shit and because there's no recycling system in
Serbia.
We would like to find ways to recycle/ reuse/give what we use during the
conference. We'll have to find something for plastics bottles and metal
bottles.Sleeping, lodging
Part of the sleeping will  be in arranged through camping on a field.
Therefore everybody is welcomed to bring tents and sleeping bags.
There will  be also specific sleeping spaces for people with medical
disabilities, and others who can’t sleep in camps.
There will be also some possibility, for people who ask for it, to be
welcomed by belgraders, resnikers or jajincers and to sleep at local
peoples houses.

Sleeping and meetings area should be separated.

Food

Food was a big debate ; There was the possibility to invite the dutch
anarchist cooking collective rempanplan. But it would have cost much money
for the transport and logistical infrastructures they need.
There was the possibility to invite various smaller autonomous cooking
collectives, coming from nearer or with less expensive structures and 
without paying for their transport. But we weren't sure that enough of
those kitchens would come.
Their was also the possibility to ask one professional cooking enterprise
from belgrade. But some were strongly opposed to the use of paid – wage
based structures for such basic things of the conference as food
(especially as cooking is something that people can quite easily do by
themselves.)
It was finally decided to both ask and pay an enterprise called Rad to
cook for the conference and also to have some self-managed volunteer-based
smaller cooking collectives.
Rad is a food enterprise/ex-socialist coop from belgrade and under urgent
threat of privatisation. They often help other workers in struggles and
were interested with the conference in itself). For the pga conference
job, there will be equal wages for everybody in Rad from cleaner to
cooker.Rad will cook and bring their field kitchen to serve on site .
They will not do breakfast.

We plan to organize food for around 600 everyday. Once we'll know for how
many people the other cooking collectives want to cook, we'll ask rad to
cook for the rest and make them know in advance for how many it will be.
People linked with cooking collectives have to give answers about that as
soon as possible.
Once we have ordered a specific daily numbers of dinner to rad, we have to
make sure that enough people will eat at Rad  and so to give a kind of
priority : when people will come to register to the conference, we'll
first ask them if they're ok to eat with Rad and therefore to take food
tickets for Rad . Once we have reached the number of people needed for
Rad, the other will be invited to eat at other collectives kitchens.
There should be help so that people who don't have much money can also eat
'Rad' food.
Everybody is going to eat at the same place. There's a possibility to help
Rad with recipes and experience of vegetarian cooking collectives.
seeds at gn.apc.org will do it and come in advance.
We need people from belgrade to check about where to find and buy food for
the various cooking collectives
Ecorating

Ecorating an alternative money exchange system that give an higher value
to poor country money and a lesser value to rich country money). As it
unfortunately doesn't solve discriminations on a national level and not
include the fact that you can also have low wages or no wages in rich
countries it won't be a rule but only a guideline for things that need to
be sold like beers.Bar

There will be a drug free and alcohol free area clearly indicated in the
campsite. We’re ok to organize a bar
There should be one bar in a building and outside the camp area and a bar
located in a space outside that could be more quiet and close earlier.
Donations and any benefit will go to the global organization of the pga
conference.we need people to organize  it and there's nobody yet.
Multimedia center

Computers have already been brought by eurodusnie but other equipments are
needed.The main thing is to try to find a good connection. We also need a group
to carry and bring computers and to build the networkVideo and screenings
There will be a video room and video material available for people who
want to offer screenings.Conference daily newsletter

we agreed on having a daily printed newsletter during the conference that
will give daily reports of workshops, debates and other important things
a) printing plans :
there might a mobile printing structure from germany coming
(seed at gn.apc.org is the contact person for them) - there might a printing
cooperative from belgrade that could print the daily newspaper, but we
also thought that it might be easier and cheaper to just photocopy it in a
copy shop every morning.
b) language of the newspaper  :
there should be ideally three languages : english, serbo-croeatian and
russian. But it will depend if anybody wants to do this translation work
everyday. People of the editorial team will try to do their best.
c) we'll give a call to find a team of people who would like to work on it
(articles writing, editing, layout, translation) as there was nobody at
the preparation meeting who wanted to take responsibility for it.Kid's space

Children are welcome in this conference as on the camp. There is a special
placefor children and a daily programme will be decided during the morning kids
assembly. Children from the camp and from the village are mixed as much as
possible. Workshops will be run by volunteers who will be participating in
therest of the conference.

Thus they sure will need you to join them as volunteer
for a workshop, translation, or to introduce them an issue, a debate or a
workshop of the conference, or even to facilitate their participation in the
meetings, wether you are parents or not

Please let us know as soon as possible
how many kids are coming and how old they are. Whatever you come to the
conference for, if you have any activities for children you wish to offer,
please get in touch. Parents stay responsible for the children they bring.
.
Conflicts and agressions resolution / threats on the conference

It is difficult to estimate the security problems that might arise but 600
people coming for one week in a poor suburb can bring/create tensions
depending on the way we behave and prepare it + the fact that there arequite a few active nationalist extreme right group and quite strong
feeling of nationalism in part of the population as well as a police and
government now driven by nationalist extreme-right parties.
pass : It has been agreed that people will be given a pass for the camp /
living space area when they register and this space should be reserved to
those people (knowing that on the other hand, we won't create strict
"border check control" for the camp)
workshops and debates will be opened to everyone without pass

safe area for things: there will be an area that can be locked for
expensive stuffs with a ticket system.
we'll let the people coming to help preparing the conference the week
before decide if we need a kind of fence or not around the camp in order
to protect it from various kind of annoyance and attacks. (from police to
fascist or various kind of aggressive idiots). There was a big debate
about this kind of difficult issue
we will have a group of pga conference participants who volunteer everyday
(10 people with a mix of local and internationals who turn every 6 hours,
not the same people everyday) to resolve conflict, and a group of people
who coordinate it and think about it in advance.
trainings : a 1 hour training period should be organised to explain what
is expected from people (in particular that they don't act as a militia)
we don’t want any specific organised militia for emergency situation, but
a good emergency call  system
people can subscribe for it when they register to the conference

we will try to avoid panic reactions and rumours

*	as we strongly criticize jails, punishment and in general the state
justice and its securitarian and punitive system, we'll try at the most to
solve any problem within ourselves and to use police/state/justice system
in the last resort and hopefully notat all.

*	about the festival : we'll ask the culture group people to organize a
specific team for that, a team that could be opened to participants to the
pga conference.

Specific things about the eventuality of individuals victims of
sexist/homophobic/racist attacks/aggression/harassment/rapes a quiet space will be offered for victims. That space should be part of
 an existing space (maybe the medical tent)
we'll create a coordination of medical, legal and gender working group
people to deal with it (helping the victim and finding a way to deal with
it and to understand what happened).  It doesn't have to be used in all
cases of aggressions, it is created in case of people being harassed and
not having other solution/friends to help them dealing with it.
it was asked to enlarge the text about sexual harassment that will be
distributed to every participants of the conference, and to link it with
other type violence such as homophobic / racist and other types of
aggressions.

Legal assistance

There will a legal information space (maybe the same as the infopoint) and
a team of people who are ready to do legal assistance
We'll make available a legal assistance phone number

We should have a lawyer that we could call in case of problems / trials
that could'nt be dealt by the legal team.
We should have some money reserves for eventual legal problems

Some legal advise should be added in the practical guide of the conference

We'll have to think about how to bring equipment in the country and a
legal body for that. Transit paper might be needed for equipment.
! There is still nobody taking responsibility to create this legal team
and inquire about locals laws (the legalities about bringing equipment
should be known well in advance and written publicly on the website). It
would be a lot easier to have local people taking responsibility for that
!
Selling things or not selling

600 hundred people, part of them coming from countries that are much
richer than serbia (nevertheless how poor they may be in their own
countries) will quite surely attract a lot of people trying to sell things
(from food to drugs or black clothes :) ), especially with so many people
unemployed and living from small street business in serbia.
We decided that we didn't want shops and things sold inside the camp space
and will try to make it understood by people who would try to.We'll try to communicate about it with people selling things.


Visibility through mainstream medias

Nobody will speak in the name of PGA network, but in their name or their
collective.
After the content debate, a group will take the responsibility to write a
document that explain factual things about the conference and explain the
political lines that we want to push through this conference (see the
content part) based on the various text about the main political issues.
A document with various introduction texts to the main issues of the
conference will be used as a basis for various groups who would like to do
press release work about the conference. This document will be signed by
different groups, involved with the preparation of the conference and not
by PGA.
Press releases will be signed by groups who do it.

There will be an international press team wich will make sure that some
press releases and contacts with international medias are made and to link
medias with various groups that could answer interviews. We'll have to
make sure that it's different people who will talk to the medias and not
always the same ones.
Coordination with local medias will be prepared by local people / there
should be some press work done locally before the conference.
*	There will be a mainstream press infopoint outside/at the entrance of
the camp where journalist can go and maybe find people to speak withThere will be a press conference  organized at the beginning of/just
before the conference
*	journalists are not welcomed in the camp and workshops and therefore we
should make them aware of that and prevent them to come as we can.
*	It's ok to invite journalist to specific bigger public events/debates
and at the visibility day at the Sava centre if it happens.


Sound system & radio station broadcasting

There will be a radio  during the conference time.


Office for coordination

2 offices with computers, phones, and facilities for cooking and sleeping,
one in resnik and another one in belgrade, were rented since march for the
conference preparation with some general conference money. They can be
used before and during the conference for various office works.
Finances

Raising money for the Conference can be done through: benefit, left-funds,
found rising, training..Should money be accepted from anybody? For the last conference it was not.
Still, drawing the line is hard.
It is the esponsability of every local group to raise money for the
conference
It's up to their judgments where the money comes from as long as nothing
is asked in return and that they do no do any publicity about sponsoring
that specify the pga and conference.
If they ask something in return or publicity have to we discuss it during 
preparation meetings before to know if we accept it or not
We'll give priority for people who  come as a group or collective and are
delegated to the conference following a group decision.
we'll try to improve co-driving and free places annoucements before the
meeting
Getting more people and basic infrastructures should be the first
priorities (and we yet don't have much money for that) and specific
projects should find extra funds as much as possible
We let final autonomy to the finance group in agreement with the rest of
the coordination group, to decide what they will finance.
Individual financial participation for the conference
(
! I'm not sure about the consensus on that point. That's what I remember
from the discussion but apparently nobody took notes at the time !)
An average donation to cover the various logistical costs of the
conference (and maybe also to help people from poorer countries to come)
will be asked to every participants of the conference. Everybody will 
then have to judge how much they can participate and pay.This average donation will have to be calculated by the finance group once
they know how much foundraising has been done and how much there is left
to cover divided by the number of participants that are estimated.Insurances

we need someone to find the needed informations about it for both
camps,buildings and public activities and to publish informations needed
by individuals on the practical guide.
Visas

We need to put basic informations about visas and contact of local people
who are taking care of it.
Actions following the conference

Even, if this conference is not an action camp, we discussed the
possibility to have collectives actions in the days following the
conference, if clearly separated from the conference time.
applications for the conference :

FOR THIS LAST BITS, I PUT SOME THINGS HERE BUT I THINK IT SHOULD
DEFINITELY REWRITTEN TOTALLY BY LOCAL PEOPLE AND PEOPLE PRESENTLY IN
BELGRADE

A few informations about DSM and other collectives around belgrade
DSM
*	Block is a group who try to rethink anarchism in a renewed way and wich
is orientated in theoritical work.*	Stany pany collective is a two years old collective wich started as a
group of people doing illegal benefit parties. It’s active in doing
organisation of pga and is doing anti-war actions. They made some
networking with kosovo, croeatia and network with wider collectives*	kollektiv Immigratie : it was foundating during the war in Belgium. They
work on the topic of transnational identities with people from Belgium,
luxembourg and Holland. They work with excluded subjects in the society
(in Belgium with sans-papiers and workers from Renault villevoorde)*	Political combinate works on a theater play with excluded people in
belgrade. Especially with roma people who have difficulties with school,
refugees, unemployed, and Chinese. They also work a lot on printing
materials.*	SUS is a youth radical left group. They’re students and are involved
with activities at the university. They do infrastructure job for dsm.
They want to legalise marijuana and free education.*	Good will group is a student group.linked with SUS
*	Biology students : Campains against vivisection, environnement.

Other groups around but not involved with the conference :
*	Black block hip-hop (benefits concerts and concerts)
*	AZIN : huge network / feminist collectives
*	Society to fight against the society from Novisad. They’re working on
magazine called atheist.*	Subwar is a group of people who are doing food not bombs actions and
anti war actions.Prota contra are doing street theatre / puppet theatre to fight against
joining the NATO.

A few words about various places where part of the conference could take
place
Rakovica and links with factory workers :

Factory is an old factory workers area, with a lot of the factory being
privatised or closed. it's a place where various workers struggles are
taking place. Some people in DSM have link with people of the local
unions.There is a factory with a cafeteria for 500 people that we can get for
free (if we paint it). It could be interesting for debates about struggles
around the working issues as well as if we need a space for a final
plenary or big spokes council.  No decisions was made on the factory and
if we accepted to repaint the cafeteria.
Resnik  :
In Resnik live a lot of unemployed workers that hardly hitten by the
measures imposed by the neoliberal-oriented government that was on power
up until the parliamentary elections that took place in December 2003.*	Resnik is located 20 km from the centre of Belgrade and has solid
connections with the capital city’s centre in terms of public transport.*	The settlement also has a large refugee camp, as well as Albanian and
Roma communities. The local group from Resnik has initiated contacts with
the refugees. The minority groups are more or less normally integrated
into society and there are no much racially inspired tension within the
population.- Resnik is part of Rakovica district. DSS is in power in resnik. It is
the Serbian democratic party (extreme right wing).. They try to appear as
democratic and European. Resnik is the poorest district of Belgrade and
right wings parties had the strategy to do a lot of propaganda towards
poor people. There seems to be no actively violent extreme rights groups.
besides of all this poverty and rampant nationalism, there are a lot of
inspiring social life habits and survival practices that can still be
found in this poor districts (community life, gardening, street life,
market with local producers, various skillfull ways of self-subsistence,
factory struggles...).Jajinci
New possible locations for the conference. Jajinci is another subvurb not
too far away from resnik. It could be finally chosen because of
difficulties with Resnik local authorities and not much confirmations to
get the various places.
things missing :
- updated flowchart

- maps and how to go there

- contacts for the conference

- legal informations

- more infos about DSM and locations

- a few infos about serbia and the present situation

- cyrillic alphabet
- some medical advisory stuffs









More information about the Pga_europe_process mailing list