[Pga_europe_process] gender-reader submission

markb at gn.apc.org markb at gn.apc.org
Tue Jul 20 01:29:13 CEST 2004

Hi,

At 2:25 pm -0700 19/7/04, <paki.tv at cyber-rights.net> wrote:

>Fin wrote:
>>okay i reckon that the text on the yoruba beliefs is written from
>>a colonialist partiarchal perspective of a martiarchal culture and
>>it would be innapropriate to include this in a gender reader for the
>>conference.
>
>I do not understand why the text on Oshun has been dropped.
>
>OK it could be submitted in Yoruban, but then probably very few people
>could rewad it. Marco of Eurodusnie expalined at the london conference
>that all applications from Nigeria and Ghana have been treated as bogus,
>  because he was of the opinion that they did not come from genuine groups
>but people who were trying to gain admittance to the European Union but
>were too stupid to realise that Serbia was not part of the EU.

Just a quick one to say that I was there and that is a long way from
what he said. His point was that in the past (Leiden) there was a
concern that some or many of the applications from Nigeria may have
been from people wanting to live in Europe. My guess is that he like
most of us would be very happy to see all borders disappear, but that
we weren't able to invite migrants to stay in Europe (as well as
support them) via the PGA conference.

There was absolutely no mention of anyone being 'too stupid' - if
there had, it would have been picked up on very strongly at the time.

Bye till Belgrade (we leave tomorrow),

Mark (from LARC and London Rising Tide