[Pga_europe_process] Arrests at ESF
renegado at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 21:39:14 CEST 2004
All arrested in connection with ESF are now free from detention, however
many are on condition to return for further court appearances
Below is a statement from the Wombles giving information on the arrests
During the European Social Forum, both at Alexandra Palace & on the closing
march, several people were arrested. The people charged are as follows:
1. On saturday evening at Alexandra Palace, the people involved in the
intervention were stopped & attacked by police as they were leaving just
beyond the main building. One man (Canadian) was arrested & charged with
theft (of a police helmet), assault & obstruction.
2. On sunday afternoon 4 people were arrested at kings cross station as they
travelled to the official esf demonstration. The charges are:
1) disorderly conduct (a Greek man) - section 5, Public Order Act 1986
2) asaulting a police officer (an Italian man) - section 89(1), Police Act
3) assaulting a police officer (an Italian man) - section 89(1), Police Act
4) obstruction of a police officer (a Dutch man) - section 89(2), Police Act
3. Later at Trafalgar Square some people wanted to make an announcement from
the stage to let people know of these arrests. They were prevented from
doing so by stewards who called the police.
Two arrests took place:
1) using threatening words & behaviour (a british man) - section 4 of the
Public Order Act
2) section 5, Public Order Act 1986 (a spanish man)
If anyone knows of arrests that took place during the ESF please contact us.
We offer unconditional support & solidarity to those arrested.
e-mail: wombles at hushmail.com
More information about the Pga_europe_process