[Pga_europe_process] wto conference delayed = posibility delayglobal conference pga

Diañu Burlon dianhuburlon at gmx.net
Thu Oct 21 15:33:25 CEST 2004

HI,
well, I though that in the call for the conference it was clear why the
dates was chosen in the first place.
The idea is not just having a conference to socialize, but having a
conference for a reason. I mean, to real networking preparing a common
strategy and a common plan of action, and not just chatting each other.
Taking this into account, one of the important issues Asia has to deal with
(clearly among other thousand of them) are agreements of WTO, for example
the horrible Agricultural Agreement (AoA). One of the proposal was to take
again the first plan of the PGA, when global conference took place three
months before the WTO in the way it would have time to organize global days
of action (pga conference in february 98 = three months before of the wto
ministerial conference in May 98. Birth of the global days of action).
So, the idea that some movements are discussing is the preparation of local
demostration against WTO conference, instead of spending big amount of
human and economical resources in going to Hong Kong.
Besides with local, district and state, national and regional level of
demostration, the issues will be strongly introduce into the village, the
people.
We don't have to forget that the position of the Indian goverment in Cancun
was the consecuense of a huge mass farmer demostration since 2000 against WTO.
So, this is why from Asia it was proposed to have the global conference
three months before the WTO conference, in the way the organizartions would
have time to organize local movilizations, even starting weeks before the
WTO conference.

Personally I think that to organize such event as a huge international
conference the targets have to be quite define. I am one of those people,
calling things like the social forum the "socializing fourm". The idea is
sitting together for something else than having a chat, exchange emails and
information and coming back home.

I am not now sure whether the call for the global conference is in the pga
web. It was distributed in Belgrade (last page of the magazine with the
report of the pga asian and gender conference in Dhaka).
If you don't have it, I will try to look for it (I don't have it in this
computer)

I've not been in the last meeting regarding this issue in Nepal. So, I just
wrote what I was told by telephone. I will meet with a delegate from
Bangladesh and India in a few days, and I would be able to tell you more
about it.

One of the reasons I understood it was better to delay, it was to have more
time for funding, for organizing the caravans to the conference and the
whether. From Europe I understand that move it to september would make
possible for the organizers of the movilizations against G8 to participate
in the process of the conference.

saludillos
trasgu