[Pga_europe_process] Re: ukraine indymedia ?

Evgueni Oregon zilonis at mail.ru
Wed Dec 15 23:00:09 CET 2004

Hi!

Here I forward you a letter from Magduv from ukrainian part of ru-imc collective, who is against the creating of ukrainian indymedia right now.

Best wishes
Zhenya

***

About creating of ukrainian indymedia.

Since the moment of creation of russian indymedia in 2001 there were ukrainian activists taking active part in working on the website. We're working as equals with russian part of the collective (at every event we're taking part we talking about russian and ukrainian parts of collective). In support of this words you may take a look in the center column (features) with news about elections in Ukraine, which were sent by indymedia activists from ukraine; or you can ask Aaron from mutualaid.org collective (ru-imc hosting) about activity of ukrainian part in migration from Active to Dada. Also, we'd like to mention, that ru-imc website was always friendly to postings in ukrainian language.

So, why wasn't ukrainian indymedia created before?
Activist scene in Ukraine is very small and, accordingly, number of non-mainstream events is small too. We don't want to create an empty site for the sake of telling "there is indymedia site in ukraine too". We don't have illusions that after openning of  ukr-imc a community of independent media activists will suddenly appear. On the contrary, there is a threat that ukr-imc could become nazi-dump.

That's why we continue working within the framework of ru-imc. As soon as it would become too tight for two indymedias on one site ukrainian collective would start process of creating of a separate site.

magduv

(magduv at gmail.com)